Friday, July 5, 2019

Monday, 1 July 2019 ~ Week #101


Hey, hey, hey everybody!!!

How are my friends and family doing? I'm happy to say that this week in Lomas was full of blessings.

We gave a heavier focus on our buddy Gustavo. Now allow me to explain the situation of the family. The problem we have been seeing this whole time was this: they have been reading a great deal from the Book of Mormon, yet they haven't focused enough on their homework to do it. Ana, who is Gustavo's older sister and the mother of Armando and William his nephews, doesn't allow them to go anywhere, especially to Church or to mutual activities, if they don't do their homework. Ana is a less active member of the Church; nevertheless, her not permitting them to go to Church does not have so much to do with her dislike for the Church -- in fact, she wants to return to activity -- but rather her anxiety for her own academic success and that of her children. She is a madre soltera, so she has to struggle to study to provide for her kids. She has, however, unfortunately, failed some tests in previous classes, which has affected her self confidence a lot, not to mention how she prioritizes. Moreover, Ana and Gustavo have a brother who is almost Ana's age who works, but when he is home, he never says anything to the missionaries neither to anyone that comes to visit them, especially people from the Church. He is baptized, but now does not want anything from the Church. And he is a bitter man, who has discouraged Ana in her academic progress, and has also discouraged Gustavo in his decision to be baptized. He has been more consistent than we could be in encouraging them to keep moving in the right direction, given that he always there when we aren't.

We went one day to visit him and his nephews, and we helped them understand the importance of making priorities (Mosiah 4:27) and the way we know from what source come the impressions that enter our mind as we make important decisions (Moroni 7:16). What happened was spectacular. We helped them make a "triangle of goals" in the which we helped them put the priorities in order, baptism first, prayer last, and in between the homework, housekeeping tasks, reading the Scriptures, etc. They were able to see that in order to "do all things in order," they had to do a little bit of everything every day, so that they could all reach the goal of baptism. Apart from that, we helped Gustavo decide to be baptized; he was already prepared, so he just had to decide. He told us of his experience at the temple, and he felt happy, yet while he was there he said a thought came to his mind saying, "Wait, the time isn't now." We explained to him that "that which is good and enticeth men to do good is from God," and then explained that any other thought comes from the devil, if not from our own conscience. We helped him analyze how he felt, and he felt desperate when the thought came to his mind -- that is, desperate, because he felt like he had already waited a long time. We encouraged him to make the decision to be baptized, and he sat to ponder for a good, long moment. He said he felt like he could easily make the decision, but still felt the fear of persecution from his brother. So we helped him apply the Scripture, helping him see that if the thought isn't good, then it is from the devil, because nothing good comes from the devil, neither from those who are subject to him. So we encouraged him to make the decision, because the Lord would be there to support him, and that the devil would only continue to say no. Apart from this, a young man who came with us further explained and testified of the blessings of being baptized. There was an amazing Spirit. Gustavo told us he would get right back to us with the response. So we are now still waiting the response, because unfortunately there was something that impeded them from coming to Church that Sunday, and it may have had to do with either his brother, or for the holiday, or both. We will see what happens this week.... (The missionary work really is a lot like a soap opera sometimes, haha.)

I wish I could say more about this week, it was really particularly good. We had an experience which I would call, "the golden missionary in Guatemala experience" with a Spirit-led contact in the poor part of the area. We have been working close with the members still. Lomas is still unfortunately in danger of being closed, due to some changes in the mission, and so five areas will need to be closed. But I don't think Lomas del Norte will be closed. We have made lots of progress, and have helped the members to become excited again in the missionary work. We have found a great deal of new people to teach, the majority of which were either from referrals from members or simply referrals from the Holy Ghost. So the Savior is still preparing hearts to receive His wonderful message. And through our work He has been able to teach them.

As I reflect on my mission experience, I think to myself, wow, the Savior really has blessed many people through my service. And I hope that I can continue to bless lives through my future missionary service. I know that this Church is true. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of mankind, for He has saved me when I looked to Him for His help, and He has saved those whom I have served. I know that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ, for were it not for his great and important mission and eternal calling, I would not be able to help souls come unto Christ either. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, because I have read it and studied it, and as I have pondered it, I have felt the Spirit testify to me of its truthfulness, and it has taught me with even greater clarity than any other book who Jesus Christ is and how I could better follow His example. These things I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World, amen.

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

Your faithful friend,
Elder Dredge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, 8 July 2019 ~ Week #102

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! This is officially the last weekly epistle that I will send on my mission! Let me just offer you all a look and how m...